Subject: Re: bug#27923: 24.3; -iconic switch screws up geometry

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 10:04:33 +0100

> FWIW, when I was doing the tests below there was a brief flash on my
 > screen each time I launched emacs, implying that the window is first
 > mapped and then unmapped.  I don't know of that's related to the
 > problem.

Do the flashes occur only when you load init.el or also when using the
--iconic --geometry 80x78+1180+0 switches only?

 >> emacs -Q --iconic --geometry 80x78+1180+0 --font "-misc-fixed-bold-r-normal-*-15-*-100-100-*-*-ISO8859-1"
 >
 > This works correctly, but the geometry reported by xwininfo is 79x77+100+0 (which is related to my Emacs.geometry Xrdb setting rather than my gnuemacs.geometry).

Do you mean that both sizes are off by one - 80/79 and 78/77 ?  What do

M-: (frame-width) RET

and

M-: (frame-height)

in such a frame give?  Did you remove/comment out the resource settings?
IIRC Emacs combines everything it finds and applies the last settings it
read.

 >> emacs -Q --iconic --load ~/init.el
 >
 > works entirely correctly with the first init.el (including correct X placement).
 >
 >> emacs -Q --load ~/init.el
 >
 > works entirely correctly with the second init.el.

So apart from the flashes these would be OK?

 >> Also, please tell me what
 >> your original scenario gives with the line specifying the font setting
 >> removed from the resource file.
 >
 > That one still fails.

"still" in the sense that you get the same bad width?  Does removing the
font setting change _anything_ in the appearance of the frame?

Thanks, martin