Subject: bug#2792: 23.0.90; doc string of switch-to-buffer

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 17:53:03 -0700

> From: Stefan Monnier Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:23 PM
> > Get rid of the word "WARNING" in the doc string. This is 
> > just helpful information, not a warning. Warnings are for
> > things that are inherently dangerous.
>  
> It's inherently dangerous, in the sense that if I see a call to
> `switch-to-buffer' in some Elisp code, I know it's a bug (the counter
> examples are so rare they're not worth mentioning).

No, danger has nothing to do with this.

Knowing that something is a bug is not knowing that there is a danger. A bug
does not imply danger. Using "WARNING" for something that is not a warning
dilutes its meaning.

Use stronger language, if you like. Say, even, that it is most likely a bug to
use it in Lisp code (or even a "****BUG!!!!****", if you're really so inclined).
But don't use "WARNING".

Use "WARNING" when you know that it is used in code that controls trains on the
same track or nuclear missiles or anthrax tests. ;-)