Subject: bug#27916: closed (Re: bug#27916: sed is limited to 24 patterns when using the delete command)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2017 22:07:02 +0000

Your bug report

#27916: sed is limited to 24 patterns when using the delete command

which was filed against the sed package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
27916: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=27916
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#27916: sed is limited to 24 patterns when using the delete command
From: Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
To: jean-christophe manciot <[email-masked]>
Cc: Assaf Gordon <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2017 15:06:21 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

tags 27916 + notabug
thanks

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 2:00 AM, jean-christophe manciot
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> You're right, my bad.

Marking as resolved/notabug in our tracker.

Subject: sed is limited to 24 patterns when using the delete command
From: jean-christophe manciot <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 15:35:53 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

sed (GNU sed) 4.4

*With 24 patterns, sed filters correctly 'build-aux':*
root@samsung-ubuntu:/home/actionmystique/src# find -L -path
'./*/build-*.sh' 2>/dev/null | sed -E '/\.gd.*$/d;
/.*git-Tao_Te_eChing.*$/d; /.*\.gnupg.*$/d; /.*google-chrome.*$/d;
/.*\.gpg$/d; /.*_key.*$/d; /.*\/\.key.*$/d; /.*\/key.*$/d; /.*\.key$/d;
/.*_Key.*$/d; /.*\..*\.luks$/d; /.*OAuth2.*$/d; /.*\/\.passwd.*$/d;
/.*\/passwd.*$/d; /.*\/\.password.*$/d; /.*\/password.*$/d; /.*\.pem$/d;
/.*\.ssh.*$/d; /.*\/tmp.*$/d; /.*\/Trash.*$/d; /.*Webmin.*$/d; /.*xca.*$/d;
/.*build-area.*$/d; /.*build-aux.*$/d' | grep -- "build-aux"
root@samsung-ubuntu:/home/actionmystique/src#

*With 25 patterns, sed fails to filter 'build-aux*':
root@samsung-ubuntu:/home/actionmystique/src# find -L -path
'./*/build-*.sh' 2>/dev/null | sed -E '/.*ExpressVPN/client\..*$/d;
/\.gd.*$/d; /.*git-Tao_Te_eChing.*$/d; /.*\.gnupg.*$/d;
/.*google-chrome.*$/d; /.*\.gpg$/d; /.*_key.*$/d; /.*\/\.key.*$/d;
/.*\/key.*$/d; /.*\.key$/d; /.*_Key.*$/d; /.*\..*\.luks$/d; /.*OAuth2.*$/d;
/.*\/\.passwd.*$/d; /.*\/passwd.*$/d; /.*\/\.password.*$/d;
/.*\/password.*$/d; /.*\.pem$/d; /.*\.ssh.*$/d; /.*\/tmp.*$/d;
/.*\/Trash.*$/d; /.*Webmin.*$/d; /.*xca.*$/d; /.*build-area.*$/d;
/.*build-aux.*$/d' | grep -- "build-aux"
./GTK-VNC/git-gtk-vnc/build-aux/ltmain.sh
./Xtables/xtables-addons/debian/xtables-addons-dkms/usr/src/xtables-addons-2.12/build-aux/ltmain.sh
./Xtables/xtables-addons/build-aux/ltmain.sh
...

*With the same 25 patterns grep filters correctly 'build-aux':*
root@samsung-ubuntu:/home/actionmystique/src# find -L -path
'./*/build-*.sh' 2>/dev/null | grep -vP --
'.*ExpressVPN/client\..*$|\.gd.*$|.*git-Tao_Te_eChing.*$|.*\.gnupg.*$|.*google-chrome.*$|.*\.gpg$|.*_key.*$|.*\/\.key.*$|.*\/key.*$|.*\.key$|.*_Key.*$|.*\..*\.luks$|.*OAuth2.*$|.*\/\.passwd.*$|.*\/passwd.*$|.*\/\.password.*$|.*\/password.*$|.*\.pem$|.*\.ssh.*$|.*\/tmp.*$|.*\/Trash.*$|.*Webmin.*$|.*xca.*$|.*build-area.*$|.*build-aux.*$'
| grep -- "build-aux"
root@samsung-ubuntu:/home/actionmystique/src#

It's strange that 24 is the limit.
-- 
Jean-Christophe Manciot