Subject: Re: [bug#27915] libnl additions

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 23:54:54 +0200

Dave Love <[email-masked]> writes:

> These put the extra bits from what I previously did as libnl3 into
> libnl.  I don't know whether the handling of the Python interface is the
> right way to do it, but I don't think the Python is important anyway --
> Debian doesn't ship it.

Hello Dave,

Sorry for the delay, these fell through the cracks a bit.  To save these
patches from bitrot, I went ahead and applied them with some changes,
detailed below.  Hope I didn't mess anything up!

> From d4986401bfcb2eacd7c7f437a50ca85d752cc904 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Dave Love <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 12:09:02 +0100
> Subject: [PATCH 3/4] gnu: libnl: Add "doc" output.
>
> * gnu/packages/linux.scm (libnl)[native-inputs, outputs]: Add doc source.
> [arguments]: New field.

I ended up rewriting the install-doc phase so that it extracts directly
to the "doc" output, and adjusted the commit message slightly.  

> From e64186082735f533bf172fcad491eaabed2928f0 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Dave Love <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 13:39:28 +0100
> Subject: [PATCH 4/4] gnu: libnl: Add "python2" and "python3" outputs.
>
> * gnu/packages/linux.scm (libnl)[native-inputs]: Extend.

Please mention all changed inputs here (e.g. for grepping purposes).

> [outputs]: Add python2, python3.
> [install-python]: New phase.
>      (native-inputs
> -     `(("flex" ,flex) ("bison" ,bison)
> +     `(("flex" ,flex)
> +       ("bison" ,bison)
> +       ("python-2" ,python-2)
> +       ("python-3" ,python-3)

The Pythons here need to be regular inputs since they are referenced.

> +           (add-after 'install 'install-python
> +             (lambda* (#:key outputs #:allow-other-keys)
> +               (define (python-inst python)
> +                 (let ((ldflags (format #f "LDFLAGS=-Wl,-rpath=~a/lib"
> +                                        (assoc-ref %outputs "out")))
> +                       (pyout (assoc-ref %outputs python)))
> +                   (and
> +                    ;; The rpm spec quoth "build twice, otherwise capi.py is
> +                    ;; not copied to the build directory"

I went ahead and removed this comment since we are not an RPM derived
distro, and always run "setup.py build" before "install" anyway.

> +                    (zero? (system (format #f "~a ~a setup.py build"
> +                                           ldflags python pyout)))
> +                    (zero?
> +                     (system (format #f "~a ~a setup.py install --prefix=~a"
> +                                     ldflags python pyout)))
> +                    (zero? (system* python "setup.py" "clean")))))
> +               (with-directory-excursion "./python"
> +                 (for-each python-inst '("python2" "python3")))))

(for-each ...) does not check (or preserve) the return value, so I
changed this to use (every ...) from SRFI-1.

Thanks for the patches!