Subject: Re: [bug#27913] Acknowledgement ([PATCH] gnu: Add python-ghp-import.)

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 16:01:28 -0400

On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 07:15:21PM +0300, Oleg Pykhalov wrote:
> Hello Guix.
> 
> The license is not gpl3+, it's “Tumbolia Public License”.
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/davisp/ghp-import/master/LICENSE

For everyone's reference, this is the text of the license:

------
                           Tumbolia Public License

Copyright 2013, Paul Davis <[email-masked]>

Copying and distribution of this file, with or without modification, are
permitted in any medium without royalty provided the copyright notice and this
notice are preserved.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION

  0. opan saurce LOL
------

It was discussed on the Fedora Legal mailing list:

https://www.spinics.net/linux/fedora/fedora-legal/msg02842.html

I don't know the final outcome there (i.e. does Fedora offer
Tumbolia-license software now?) but it seems positive.

Also, Debian distributes the software:

https://packages.debian.org/sid/ghp-import

> Is it OK in Guix?  If yes, what is good way to provide this licence?

I think it's fine. The author's intent to make the software available
under a permissive-style license seems clear to me.

Please change the license field of the package definition from 'gpl3+'
to 'non-copyleft'. That license can be annotated; there are lots of
examples in the maths module:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/maths.scm

And the source of 'non-copyleft':

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/licenses.scm?id=41209a6f3a9945b55bcc06b989628e09e9f98b6a#n157