Subject: Re: [bug#27905] changes for openmpi

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 09:00:22 +0200

Dave Love <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I wrote: 
>
>>> So to me that means we can apply the patch below and be done with it.
>>> Fine with you?
>>
>> No, I now think it shouldn't be changed, since the valgrind integration
>> is supposed not to impose a significant speed penalty, and I can remove
>> valgrind from the closure simply.  I'll send a new patch later.
>
> Here it is, eventually, which gets rid of a lot from the closure.
>
> From 6b47b2ce671bfbdab3c5f4f2546f02bcfee66d68 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Dave Love <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 18:04:21 +0100
> Subject: [PATCH 2/2] gnu openmpi: Remove valgrind from closure.
>
> * mpi.scm (openmpi)[arguments]: Elide romio config info to avoid valgrind
> path.

Awesome!  I tweaked the commit log and pushed.

Now we’re down to 156 MiB for the whole closure, which is much better.
There’s still room for optimization (Bash, xz, util-linux?), but we’ll
get there:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ ./pre-inst-env guix size openmpi
store item                                                       total    self
/gnu/store/n6nvxlk2j8ysffjh3jphn1k5silnakh6-glibc-2.25              38.5    37.1  23.7%
/gnu/store/8j1h29zcgrg13dc2md7lalxliv1jrq2p-gfortran-5.4.0-lib      73.0    34.5  22.0%
/gnu/store/3x53yv4v144c9xp02rs64z7j597kkqax-gcc-5.4.0-lib           68.6    30.1  19.2%
/gnu/store/z77nhww8zh96w6lb5ak6h3jb4niain3b-eudev-3.2.2            103.2    14.1   9.0%
/gnu/store/dy81cx0yshq8vban59vjsdl4rvxnwxab-util-linux-2.30         87.6    12.0   7.7%
/gnu/store/jk8bcr9q79cj6j97xb6rdil1fw0g8hd6-openmpi-1.10.7         156.5    10.1   6.5%
/gnu/store/09j7scnl3hahcmql986fsjpzj6gqsmzv-ncurses-6.0             74.3     5.7   3.6%
/gnu/store/bhawz0mpfdjhwq423q6kk2jz34dpcsx5-libnl-3.3.0             72.3     3.6   2.3%
/gnu/store/n2k1kmwj0rswq6qija8v8kz9ramj2a83-rdma-core-14           108.8     2.0   1.3%
/gnu/store/808hmh1bp6khhbfrbljcsnly9497bxvy-libfabric-1.4.1        110.4     1.6   1.0%
/gnu/store/zhrajv6qf2hzn9c3g2bb07559hyrz5xp-bash-static-4.4.12       1.4     1.4   0.9%
/gnu/store/g3nari57wcfnm00kv9bnpyzdzfq4h8pk-xz-5.2.2                70.7     1.1   0.7%
/gnu/store/kpxi8h3669afr9r1bgvaf9ij3y4wdyyn-bash-minimal-4.4.12     39.5     1.0   0.6%
/gnu/store/hf6k2i6aqqs50p181bs1aa7xw49kd6xn-hwloc-1.11.8-lib        72.8     0.6   0.4%
/gnu/store/ljzqi3ajkc6l5r8hwdz7kr1zwbli3i7y-pciutils-3.5.5          71.8     0.5   0.3%
/gnu/store/sfx1wh27i6gsrk21p87rdyikc64v7d51-zlib-1.2.11             69.0     0.4   0.2%
/gnu/store/bdys6wm9hwd7akd5mc00xw0y4cz0j1fg-numactl-2.0.11          68.9     0.3   0.2%
/gnu/store/insr5wrif9pn1mlqa5rl9k3sr5qf2q1y-kmod-24                 71.3     0.3   0.2%
/gnu/store/0p4gxh2xiz31v2zx8mg43nv2djjyfwmn-libpciaccess-0.13.5     71.9     0.1   0.1%
total: 156.5 MiB
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Thanks!

Ludo’.