Subject: Re: bug#2790: emacs 22.1.1 cannot open 5GB file on 64GB 64-bit Linux box

From: Mike Coleman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:33:29 -0500

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:01:51 -0500
>> From: Mike Coleman <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>>
>> 'which emacs' is /usr/bin/emacs.
>
> I asked to type "file `which emacs`".  The `file' part is important.

Ah, missed it.  Here you go:

$ file `which emacs`
/usr/bin/emacs: symbolic link to `/etc/alternatives/emacs'

Also

$ file -L `which emacs`
/usr/bin/emacs: sticky ELF 64-bit LSB executable, AMD x86-64, version
1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, dynamically linked (uses shared libs),
for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, stripped

in case that's where we were headed.  :-)

And

$ lsb_release -rd
Description:	CentOS release 5.2 (Final)
Release:	5.2

>> most-positive-fixnum gives
>>
>>     1152921504606846975 (#o37777777777, #xffffffff)
>
> That sounds like a bug: the decimal representation is like I'd expect
> on a 64-bit machine, but the octal and hex representations are like on
> a 32-bit machine.  Strange...

Yeah, that looked a little odd to me, too.

I gather from your questions that this (loading the large file) was
more or less supposed to work?

> Perhaps this is some bug that was in Emacs 22.1.  Can you upgrade to
> 22.3?

This distribution version has no later package available.  I can just
go ahead and build from source, though.  Are there any particular
flags I should use, etc., to support this debugging process?

Mike