Subject: bug#2790: closed (Re: bug#2790: emacs 22.1.1 cannot open 5GB file on 64GB 64-bit Linux box)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 03:04:01 +0000

Your bug report

#2790: emacs 22.1.1 cannot open 5GB file on 64GB 64-bit Linux box

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
2790: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=2790
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#2790: emacs 22.1.1 cannot open 5GB file on 64GB 64-bit Linux box
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 05:59:16 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 00:10:05 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Mike Coleman <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I'm trying to open a large (between 4GB and 5GB) file on a x86-64
> > Linux box that has 64GB of RAM.  I'm getting the error message
> > "Maximum buffer size exceeded".
> 
> A lot of work has gone into making Emacs 24 usable for visiting buffers
> that are larger than 2GB.  But I'm not sure if Emacs 24 is quite there
> yet.
> 
> Has anybody tried this lately?

We are there.  Before I removed the 2GB limit hat was artificially put
there to avoid crashes, I actually visited a file larger than 2GB (I
think it was 3GB and change) and made sure I can move in it, edit it,
and save it.

So I'm closing this bug.

Subject: emacs 22.1.1 cannot open 5GB file on 64GB 64-bit Linux box
From: Mike Coleman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:50:35 -0500

I'm trying to open a large (between 4GB and 5GB) file on a x86-64
Linux box that has 64GB of RAM.  I'm getting the error message
"Maximum buffer size exceeded".  I'm able to create 32GB strings in
Python on this box, so I don't believe it's a ulimit problem or
anything like that.

The contents of /proc/cpuinfo say that the CPU has 48 virtual bits.
I'm guessing that emacs uses maybe six bits or so for overhead, but
that doesn't seem like enough to be causing my problem.

Given the error message, it seems like emacs probably has an internal
idea of a maximum buffer size, but apropos doesn't turn up anything.

I'm sure this has been discussed and I've tried to find these
discussions, but I don't seem to be able to track down the current
thinking on this subject.

Is this a know limitation or a bug?  Can someone who knows provide a
quick summary?

Thanks,
Mike