Subject: bug#2790: emacs 22.1.1 cannot open 5GB file on 64GB 64-bit Linux box

From: Mike Coleman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:01:51 -0500

Hi,

This machine isn't really connected to the Internet, but here's the
contents of that buffer, after trying to load the large file in
question.

'which emacs' is /usr/bin/emacs.

most-positive-fixnum gives

    1152921504606846975 (#o37777777777, #xffffffff)

Mike

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list,
and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/22.1/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.4)
 of 2007-08-23 on monk.karan.org
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10600000
configured using `configure  '--build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
'--host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' '--target=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
'--program-prefix=' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr'
'--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc'
'--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include'
'--libdir=/usr/lib64' '--libexecdir=/usr/libexec'
'--localstatedir=/var' '--sharedstatedir=/usr/com'
'--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--with-pop'
'--with-sound' '--with-gtk' 'build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
'host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
'target_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF
-DSYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA=16777216 -O2 -g -pipe -Wall
-Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector
--param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Mail

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> M-x r e p o r t - e m a <tab>
<return> x x x <return> C-x 1 C-v C-v C-p C-x C-f /
n / d a t a 1 / b l a s t / d b / n r <return> y C-x
<escape> <escape> M-p M-p M-n C-a C-k C-g C-g M-x r
e p r t <backspace> <backspace> o r t - e m a <tab>
<return>

Recent messages:
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/php-mode-init.el (source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/po-mode-init.el (source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/psgml-init.el (source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/python-mode-init.el
(source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/rpm-spec-mode-init.el
(source)...done
Loading emacsbug...done
Loading help-mode...done
File nr is large (4187MB), really open? (y or n)
byte-code: Maximum buffer size exceeded
next-history-element: Beginning of history; no preceding item
Quit [2 times]

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:50:35 -0500
>> From: Mike Coleman <[email-masked]>
>> Cc:
>>
>> I'm trying to open a large (between 4GB and 5GB) file on a x86-64
>> Linux box that has 64GB of RAM.  I'm getting the error message
>> "Maximum buffer size exceeded".
>
> Thank you for your report.  However, it lacks crucial info, because
> you didn't use "M-x report-emacs-bug RET" to submit it.  Please do
> that (and do it from the same version of Emacs where you get the error
> message), so that important aspects of your system and Emacs
> configuration will be reported and considered in resolving this
> problem.
>
> Next, please type "file `which emacs`" at the shell prompt on that
> machine, and tell what this command displays.
>
> Also, please type "M-: most-positive-fixnum RET" inside Emacs, and
> tell what it displays.
>