Subject: Re: [bug#27898] [PATCH 1/2] gnu: Use 'modify-phases' syntax.

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 18:46:14 -0400

On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 10:08:18PM +0200, Marius Bakke wrote:
> Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:
> > I agree, wow! Thanks for this. It should help new Schemers to feel more
> > comfortable editing packages.
> >
> > This might be annoying but it should wait until after the core-updates
> > branch is done and merged into the master branch. I want to minimize the
> > number of merge conflicts because they are 1) annoying and 2) relatively
> > opaque when reading the Git history. Marius's suggestion is another good
> > one, and would help with issues like that.
> >
> > But if we were to wait until after core-updates and push it as one
> > commit, I wouldn't mind. It's up to the two of you and everyone else :)
> 
> Yeah I guess the squashed patch is okay. If we delay the patches until
> after 'staging' and 'python-updates' as well, no merge will be
> necessary. But it won't be a pretty cherry-pick either, by then.

True, we should not wait *too* long. I think that doing it after
core-updates and before staging and python-updates could be good
compromise, because those branches touch a relatively small number of
modules. WDYT?

> I don't really have a strong opinion either way. But I'd hate to the one
> resolving potentially 100s of merge conflicts at once ;-) Cherry-picking
> at least restricts the set of conflicts to these changes.

OTOH, if Kei doesn't have an unsquashed version of this patch, it will
be annoying to split it up :)