Subject: bug#27896: [External] : Re: bug#27896: 25.2; `C-M-%' with `rectangle-mark-mode'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 22:07:11 +0100

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

> So this is a question of priorities: does it make sense to spend
> much time implementing this.  Are there any users of this feature?
>
> I mean the feature of regexp and multi-line replacements in rectangle mode,
> because non-regexp single-line string replacements already work fine
> in rectangle mode.
>
> Or it's enough to explain the current limitation in the documentation.

I don't think it's a particularly important bug to fix -- like you, I
think that the number of users here is pretty small.  (To say the
least.)

But I'm not sure whether this is something that should be documented,
either -- it looks like a bug to me, so just leaving it open until
somebody feels like fixing it is an option.

As for how, I don't know.  Perhaps marking regions as skippable somehow
would be an option?  That is, when doing rectangles, mark all the text
outside of the rectangle as skippable (temporarily).  I seem to remember
there being some discussion about this in general for the searching
functions...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no