Subject: bug#27888: closed (Re: [bug#27888] [PATCH 01/18] gnu: python@3: Update to 3.6.2.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 22:31:02 +0000

Your bug report

#27888: [PATCH 00/18] Python updates

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
27888: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=27888
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [bug#27888] [PATCH 01/18] gnu: python@3: Update to 3.6.2.
From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
To: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 00:30:42 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Marius and Leo,
>
>> Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 10:07:18PM +0200, Marius Bakke wrote:
>>>> * gnu/packages/patches/python-3.5-fix-tests.patch: Rename to ...
>>>> * gnu/packages/patches/python-3-fix-tests.patch: ... this. Adjust and disable
>>>> more tests.
>>>> * gnu/packages/patches/python-3.5-getentropy-on-old-kernels.patch: Delete file.
>>>
>>> I'm curious, do you know if they handled this issue upstream in a
>>> reliable way, or is getentropy() simply unused in Python 3.6?
>>
>> The getentropy fix for 3.5 was a port of "random.c" from 3.6 + the fix %
>> 3.5 specific behaviour. Since 3.6.2 was just released it should have
>> it. Most hunks are there, but didn't verify all.
>>
>>> Also, do you have any idea about the state of the bytecode timestamp
>>> issue, which is related to the problem with the bytecode cache? I can
>>> work on that on python-updates when you push it.
>>
>> Yes. You might have seen this:
>>
>> https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/25916
>>
>> NixOS patches the interpreter to unconditionally set bytecode timestamps
>> to epoch 1. Now I also found this:
>>
>> https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/296
>>
>> So I think we only need that patch and to set PYTHONHASHSEED to some
>> deterministic value in python-build-system. 
>>
>> I can give it a go next weekend if you're busy, but more than happy to
>> share the workload :-)
>
> I hope you don’t mind me asking: is there any progress here?  Anything
> blocking that I could help with?

Hello!

I just pushed a rebased version of this branch to a new 'python-updates'
branch on Savannah, with Python 3.6.3 and 2.7.14.  I also have an update
for 'python-hypothesis' coming, probably this weekend.

Wrt the reproducibility patch, I've tried to cherry-pick
<https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/296> but got a couple of new
test failures.  I have been really busy lately and got an injury to
boot, so my work capacity is limited and any help very welcome.

Closing this bug since the patches are "out there", but feel free to
continue the discussion.  I don't expect a lot of problems due to this
update, so we can probably handle it on 'core-updates'.

Subject: [PATCH 00/18] Python updates
From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 22:04:13 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This is the beginning of a new 'python-updates' branch. It updates to
Python 3.6, as well as pulling in the latest versions of some popular
libraries (mostly the pytest closure). More to come!

'python-pytest' gains a dependency on 'hypothesis' and 'setuptools_scm'
which complicates the dependency tree somewhat. Currently I'm working
around it by using a minimal 'python-pytest-bootstrap' variant in all
packages required for pytest itself. It works, for now, but don't tell
anyone that the tests for 'py' and 'setuptools_scm' are actually not
running and also require 'pytest'.

Not sure how to solve that one, but won't spend any more time on it
this round unless someone has strong objections/suggestions. It's not
like they are running tests now, anyway! Considering a new (gnu packages
python-bootstrap) module to make it more manageable in the long run.

The patches are on 'core-updates'. Feedback very welcome. I may or may
not improve bootstrapping comments and descriptions of new packages
before pushing ;-)

If there is no feedback, I will push this to Savannah in a few days,
destroying the older 'python-updates' branch.

NB: The very last patch actually (inexplicably) breaks 'python-pytest'
and is included only for visibility. No idea what's up, yet.

Marius Bakke (18):
  gnu: python@3: Update to 3.6.2.
  gnu: python-py: Update to 1.4.34.
  gnu: python-six: Really enable tests.
  gnu: Remove python-pytest@2.
  gnu: python-pytest: Add a minimal variant for bootstrapping.
  gnu: python-setuptools-scm: Update to 1.15.6.
  gnu: python-pytest: Update to 3.1.3.
  gnu: python-pyflakes: Update to 1.5.0.
  gnu: python-mccabe: Update to 0.6.1.
  gnu: python-mock@2: Add dependency on python-six.
  gnu: Add python2-enum.
  gnu: python-flake8: Update to 3.4.1.
  gnu: Add python-linecache2.
  gnu: Add python-traceback2.
  gnu: python-unittest2: Update to 1.1.0.
  gnu: Add python2-funcsigs.
  gnu: python-mock: Make 2.0 the default package.
  gnu: python-hypothesis: Update to 3.14.0.

 gnu/local.mk                                       |   4 +-
 gnu/packages/backup.scm                            |   4 +-
 gnu/packages/calendar.scm                          |   3 +-
 gnu/packages/patches/python-3-fix-tests.patch      | 130 ++++
 gnu/packages/patches/python-3.5-fix-tests.patch    |  69 --
 .../python-3.5-getentropy-on-old-kernels.patch     | 720 ---------------------
 .../patches/python-unittest2-python3-compat.patch  |  34 +
 gnu/packages/python.scm                            | 350 ++++++----
 gnu/packages/tls.scm                               |   4 +-
 gnu/packages/web.scm                               |   2 +-
 10 files changed, 394 insertions(+), 926 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/python-3-fix-tests.patch
 delete mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/python-3.5-fix-tests.patch
 delete mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/python-3.5-getentropy-on-old-kernels.patch
 create mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/python-unittest2-python3-compat.patch

-- 
2.13.3