Subject: [bug#27888] [PATCH 00/18] Python updates

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 19:04:52 -0400

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 10:04:13PM +0200, Marius Bakke wrote:
> This is the beginning of a new 'python-updates' branch. It updates to
> Python 3.6, as well as pulling in the latest versions of some popular
> libraries (mostly the pytest closure). More to come!
> 
> 'python-pytest' gains a dependency on 'hypothesis' and 'setuptools_scm'
> which complicates the dependency tree somewhat. Currently I'm working
> around it by using a minimal 'python-pytest-bootstrap' variant in all
> packages required for pytest itself. It works, for now, but don't tell
> anyone that the tests for 'py' and 'setuptools_scm' are actually not
> running and also require 'pytest'.
> 
> Not sure how to solve that one, but won't spend any more time on it
> this round unless someone has strong objections/suggestions. It's not
> like they are running tests now, anyway! Considering a new (gnu packages
> python-bootstrap) module to make it more manageable in the long run.
> 
> The patches are on 'core-updates'. Feedback very welcome. I may or may
> not improve bootstrapping comments and descriptions of new packages
> before pushing ;-)

Wow! Awesome, and thank you for putting this together.

> If there is no feedback, I will push this to Savannah in a few days,
> destroying the older 'python-updates' branch.

That branch is super stale, time to cook up a new one :)

> NB: The very last patch actually (inexplicably) breaks 'python-pytest'
> and is included only for visibility. No idea what's up, yet.

I was really not looking forward to dealing with this tangled mess, so
I'm amazed that you got as far as you did. I think 17/18 is pretty good
for this patch series ;)