Subject: Re: bug#27879: Bad behavior with sr-speedbar package

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 21:55:10 +0200

On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 19:23:09 +0200 Angelo Graziosi <[email-masked]> wrote:

> OK, I found the commit that causes this issue:
>
>
> committer	Stephen Berman
> commit	8e394b082bd6ecd9ba212cb3ca07cbace66767a6
>
> Preserve point under 'dired-auto-revert-buffer' (third case)
> * lisp/files.el (find-file): Use pop-to-buffer-same-window
> instead of switch-to-buffer.  This preserves Dired window
> point when dired-auto-revert-buffer is non-nil.  (Bug#27243)

As Martin Rudalics noted, sr-speedbar advises pop-to-buffer.  I executed
your recipe, but before calling sr-speedbar-toggle I deactivated the
advice (M-x ad-deactivate).  This still creates a speedbar in the frame,
but now C-x C-f visits the file in the same window instead of splitting
the window.  Whether other sr-speedbar functionality is impaired by not
advising pop-to-buffer, I don't know, but Martin's advice in surely
appropriate, and sr-speedbar should take it.

Steve Berman