Subject: bug#27872: 26.0.50; freeze when opening file with emojis

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 23:07:44 +0100

On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 11:53:53PM +0200, Nejc Vivod wrote:
> Now that’s interesting, now it works - opens the file and displays
> black&white emojis. Thank you all so much for your help! :-)
> 
> (though, not having a font installed probably shouldn’t mess it up
> like this, or am I wrong?)
> 
> > On 30 Jul 2017, at 21:27, Alan Third <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > 
> > Symbola

My understanding is that if you have Symbola installed it’s one of the
first fonts Emacs checks for emoji. If you don’t have it installed, or
Emacs can’t find the glyph it’s looking for, then it searches other
fonts for them.

I think that means you’ve probably got a font that doesn’t get on well
with Emacs. We should be able to find out which one if you’re willing
to try building a custom version which prints out each font family as
it tries them.

I don’t know if it’s worth doing.

-- 
Alan Third