Subject: Re: bug#27872: 26.0.50; freeze when opening file with emojis

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 18:29:21 +0300

> Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 16:06:05 +0100
> From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Nejc Vivod <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> No, I just saw that the last piece of Emacs code in the backtrace was
> macfont_list and figured it was probably something to do with that,
> but presumably the loop could be somewhere else.
> 
> On macOS there is specific code for displaying colour emojis, but it’s
> been disabled. I don’t see any emojis at all, just a blank space the
> same size as the colour emoji should be.

So maybe the loop is macOS specific.

It's strange that you see "just a blank space", though, because this:

>               display: no font available

means Emacs should have displayed a box with the hex code.

> I don’t know if Macs come with non‐colour emoji capable fonts by
> default, all other Mac apps display the colour ones so I can’t even
> see a way to test.

Can you try installing Symbola?  That's the font I see being used here
for this character.