Subject: Re: bug#27872: 26.0.50; freeze when opening file with emojis

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 13:34:16 +0100

On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 02:10:38PM +0200, Nejc Vivod wrote:
> Tried downloading from emacsformacosx.com
> <http://emacsformacosx.com/> (both the nightly and the stable
> version), still have the same issue - I’ve also recreated the file
> with your echo command. Not sure why it breaks like this, since the
> preinstalled emacs opens the file just fine.

The preinstalled Emacs is ancient. Version 22 or something. Quite a
lot has changed since then. It also only works in the terminal so the
glyph display code is completely different.

> What I did notice is, it seems to allocate a bunch of memory every
> second or so when opening that test file (looking at activity
> monitor -> Info about the process); before I force-killed it, it was
> taking up 2,39GB of ram and it didn’t seem like it would stop.
> 
> I’m attaching a sample of the process, maybe this can be of help. 

I don’t really understand what that’s telling me. Is it possible for
you to run it under a debugger and send me a backtrace?

You’ll probably have lldb installed already, so all you need to do is
run

    lldb /path/to/emacs
    > run

and once it freezes hit ctrl‐c and

    > bt all

and send me the output.

You are running it in GUI mode, and not in the terminal, right?

-- 
Alan Third