Subject: bug#27872: 26.0.50; freeze when opening file with emojis

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 12:55:13 +0100

On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 12:44:24AM +0200, Nejc Vivod wrote:
> Emacs installed via homebrew (--with-cocoa enabled) freezes with 100%
> CPU usage when opening a file that contains unicode emojis. Other
> editors handle the file just fine (and default mac emacs opens it, but
> doesn't display emojis).
> Steps to reproduce:
> 1. emacs -Q
> 2. open a file that contains a unicode emoji (my test file has a burger icon in it - 🍔)
> 3. emacs will stop responding and keep the CPU at 100%

I can’t reproduce this with the master branch. Are you sure it’s just
the presence of the emoji and not something else?

I used this command to create a test file:

    echo "🍔" > /tmp/test.txt

> Is there a way to at least not display emojis (I’m fine with blocks)?

GUI Emacs doesn’t display emojis. It’s possible homebrew have included
a patch to enable them.

Can you test with a build direct from git, or a nightly build from
emacsformacosx.com?
-- 
Alan Third