Subject: [bug#27848] guix: build-system: gnu: Avoid warnings from "libtool finish"

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 21:26:06 +0200

Dave Love <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I’m not too keen on this approach, in large part because I’ve got used
>> to the “ldconfig not found” messages,
>
> It's OK if you know, but I assume it's common for newbies to see it and
> waste time, as at least two of us did.

Yeah, I see.

>> but also because a simple change
>> like this can create more problems than what it solves: packages where
>> the “libtool” script lives in a different directory, packages where
>> “libtool” is a different thing, packages where it’s read-only or where
>> it’s a directory, etc.
>
> OK, but I thought the common case of it at top level was worth fixing.
> I guess you could check it's really a libtool script before editing it.
>
> However, is there a good reason not to provide a dummy ldconfig which
> does nothing, or prints a message about not doing anything?

I’d think it’s safer to just not provide it at all.

Ludo’.