Subject: bug#27830: 26.0.50; Left fringe gets truncated by a pixel in window not sharing that edge with frame

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 10:14:37 +0200

>>>> But perhaps we should simply stop showing vertical borders on
 >>>> graphical frames.
 >>>
 >>> Aren't they needed for resizing windows with a mouse?
 >>
 >> The majority of users probably has vertical scroll bars turned on, so
 >> they can't do that anyway.
 >
 > I'm confused: If I have a vertical scoll bar, there's a small vertical
 > bar just below the bottom of it that allows resizing the emacs window,
 > so why do scroll bars preclude resizing?

The thing I would like to get rid of are the vertical borders.  You can
make them more prominently visible by evaluating

(custom-set-faces
  '(vertical-border ((t (:foreground "red")))))
(scroll-bar-mode -1)

with emacs -Q and typing C-x 3.  You can resize your windows now by
dragging that red vertical line.

Notice that the "small vertical bar" you mention did not change color.
In fact, that bar does not exist at all.  You can make it "disappear" by
resetting the face properties of ‘mode-line’ and ‘mode-line-inactive’ to
the default face.  It's an artefact that allows resizing windows even in
the presence of scroll bars.  It has not visual feedback but that of two
boxes meeting each other on screen and a two arrows symbol that appears
whenever the mouse cursor hovers above a nearby location.

martin