Subject: bug#27804: 26.0.50; Emacs backgrounds itself during package-list-packages on WSL

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 16:29:21 +0200

tags 27804 + notabug
close 27804
quit

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Emacs gets a signal that causes it to background.  The problem is why
> the signal is delivered, and its cause is outside Emacs, could be the
> WSL itself, could be ncurses when it runs on WSL, could be something
> else.  But definitely not Emacs.

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> > Definitely not an Emacs problem.
[...]
> And even if some change in Emacs exposed that bug, it doesn't yet mean
> the bug is in Emacs.

Josh Howard <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
>> Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 11:34 AM
[...]
>> OK, but meanwhile I understand that a later build of WSL fixed some
>> terminal-related bugs, and the problem is now gone.
>
> Both of these appear to be true. The WSL has a fix which seems to
> address the problem and 24.3 does not display the issue. Something
> happened between 24.3 and now which causes Emacs to tickle this bug,
> but it may not be relevant.

>From the above, this doesn't seem to be a bug in Emacs, and has been
fixed in later versions of WSL.  I'm therefore closing this as notabug.
If that's incorrect, please reopen the bug report.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas