Subject: Re: bug#27794: efi vs bios grub detection

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 14:01:04 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 at 21:13, zimoun <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 at 16:22, buen ouanq <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> It was recommended in the IRC room that I send this email.  I
>> struggled all yesterday failing to get GRUB (and thus GuixSD) to
>> install in ways that I was positive had worked before.  Turns out the
>> installation USB had booted UEFI rather than BIOS, so it refused to
>> install what I understood to be the default (BIOS GRUB), even though I
>> had done and partitioned everything correctly, and there were no
>> meaningful hints as to why.  It would be nice if there was a little
>> note about this in the install guide, something along the lines of,
>> `EFI/BIOS detection for GRUB depends on how the installation image was
>> booted.' (or whatever it actually does, I'm not sure really).
>
> This bug is very old and had been forgotten.  I do not think it is
> relevant anymore.  If it is, could you provide moreinfo.  Otherwise, I
> will close it after the usual 3 weeks delay.
>
> <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/27794>

If no moreinfo, I will close this bug in the coming days.

All the best,
simon