Subject: Re: [bug#27791] [PATCH] gnu: Add passmenu

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2017 15:00:32 +0200

Hi Jelle,

Jelle Licht <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello guix,
>
> Attached is a patch to include passmenu, a dmenu interface to the pass
> password store.
>
> I was not quite sure how to structure this patch, as it basically installs
> and wraps a shell script from the `password-store' sources. We could
> instead include it as a separate output of our `password-store' package,
> but I already had it like this in my GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH and I was not even
> sure if that approach was in general preferable.

I don't think wrapping it with dmenu in PATH is necessary. Users of this
script are expected to have dmenu from before, and may want to use
another implementation (e.g. rofi), another version, etc.

Can you try to simply add a phase to the normal password-store package
that copies this file to out/bin? We can probably avoid the wrapper too
by giving it the full path to `xdotool`, e.g.:

(substitute "passmenu"
  (("xdotool") (string-append (assoc-ref inputs "xdotool")
                              "/bin/xdotool")))

Adding 'xdotool' adds ~8MiB to the password-store closure size, so I
don't think we need a separate output either.

Thanks!