Subject: Re: bug#27787: 26.0.50; Add a way to refresh package list based on last update time

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 21:35:03 +0200

Mohammed Sadiq <[email-masked]> writes:

> It would be nice if there is a defun that would update
> package list based on last successfull update.
>
> Eg.: Update package list if last update was before 7 days, or 10 hours,
> etc.
>
> Or at least, a function that would return the time of last successful
> update would be nice.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

I don't think we keep that info handy anywhere?  But in any case, in my
opinion, having something like this would be of limited utility -- if
you've updated package X two days ago and Y four days ago, then it's all
a bit vague what to do with that information.

Emacs 29 has a new utility command, though -- `M-x package-update-all',
that will just update everything without any fuss or muss, so I think
that's sufficient in this area.  I'm therefore closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no