Subject: Re: bug#27771: [PATCH] Add INSTALL file.

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 23:22:37 -0400

tags 27771 + notabug
close 27771
thanks

Hi Roel,

Roel Janssen <[email-masked]> writes:

> The README file refers to the INSTALL file, which was deliberately
> ignored in the .gitignore file.  This may be confusing for people
> that are looking for the INSTALL file, following the instructions
> in the README.
>
> I would therefore like to add the INSTALL file, which is what this
> patch does.

The INSTALL file is included in our tarball releases.  It is missing
only from a pristine git checkout.  The instructions included in it
won't work from a pristine git checkout anyway.

Like the ./configure script and several other important components of
the build system, INSTALL is created by the GNU autotools when you run
./autogen.sh.  We intentionally omit the results of running ./autogen.sh
in our git repository, because they are not part of Guile's source code.

The HACKING file includes instructions for building from a pristine git
checkout.

I'm closing this bug.  Thanks anyway :)

      Mark