Subject: bug#27743: closed (Re: bug#27743: 26.0.50; Native Line Numbers seem to reset Tab Width)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 14:28:02 +0000

Your bug report

#27743: 26.0.50; Native Line Numbers seem to reset Tab Width

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
27743: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=27743
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#27743: 26.0.50; Native Line Numbers seem to reset Tab Width
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Frank Terbeck <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 17:27:54 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Frank Terbeck <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 22:56:46 +0200
> 
> 
> This can in fact be reproduced from "emacs -Q". Just open a file that
> uses tabs for indentation. Then set tabulator width:
> 
>   (setq tab-width 4)
> 
> The display of the tabulator width should now visibly be four
> characters. Now enable line number display:
> 
>   (setq display-line-numbers 'relative)
> 
> Now the tabulator display returns to eight characters. This is the bug
> that I'm reporting. Disabling line number display:
> 
>   (setq display-line-numbers nil)
> 
> ...returns the tabulator width to four characters.

Thanks, fixed.  (A stupid mistake which is exposed only when using
tab-width of 4 or less, whereas I, believe it or not, did all my
testing with tab-width = 5 and more.)

Subject: 26.0.50; Native Line Numbers seem to reset Tab Width
From: Frank Terbeck <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 22:56:46 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

At work we're using a tab-width of 4 (yeah, I know). I tried the new
native line number code with that and saw that the tab-width reverted to
eight characters. As soon as you disable line number display, tab-width
is back to whatever it is actually configured to.

This can in fact be reproduced from "emacs -Q". Just open a file that
uses tabs for indentation. Then set tabulator width:

  (setq tab-width 4)

The display of the tabulator width should now visibly be four
characters. Now enable line number display:

  (setq display-line-numbers 'relative)

Now the tabulator display returns to eight characters. This is the bug
that I'm reporting. Disabling line number display:

  (setq display-line-numbers nil)

...returns the tabulator width to four characters.

Regards, Frank

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.16)
 of 2017-07-15 built on spock
Repository revision: 89c5d59280edaf89b959597a39d848b54c36975a
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11903000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux unstable (sid)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
irtt.c has auto save data; consider M-x recover-this-file
Making completion list... [3 times]
4 (#o4, #x4, ?\C-d)
Making completion list...
relative
user-error: Beginning of history; no preceding item

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/opt/emacs --with-modules'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES LIBSYSTEMD

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: C/*l

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message subr-x puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode cc-mode
cc-fonts easymenu cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win
x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 120767 9161)
 (symbols 48 22938 1)
 (miscs 40 55 190)
 (strings 32 35982 939)
 (string-bytes 1 1080868)
 (vectors 16 17064)
 (vector-slots 8 522375 8842)
 (floats 8 53 383)
 (intervals 56 958 9)
 (buffers 976 13))