Subject: bug#27736: OSX 10.6.8: Building from master branch fails.

From: "Charles A. Roelli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 22:48:01 +0200

On 17/07/2017 21:43, Alan Third wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 08:18:47AM -0700, Keith David Bershatsky wrote:
>> I am unable to build Emacs from the master branch on OSX 10.6.8 with
>> Eshell, which is what I have used for several years. It just
>> stops/freezes when it gets to: "ELC org/org-timer.elc". I am still
>> able to successfully build earlier versions of Emacs master branch
>> from last year -- I am unsure what specific day the builds stopped
>> working. I tried yesterday and today, with the same results:
>
> I believe this is the same as bug#27706.
>
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=27706
>
> I can’t reproduce on 10.12, so it looks like a bug in older macOS
> versions, although I don’t know just how old.

Indeed, this does look like the same bug.  I have the exact same problem.

Keith: can you get a backtrace from the compile process?

If you have GDB installed, you might see something like this:

(gdb) bt
#0  0x00007fff83860c0d in timesub () from /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
#1  0x00007fff8386081c in _st_localsub () from /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
#2  0x00007fff83869d71 in localtime_r () from /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
#3  0x0000000100458747 in localtime_rz (tz=0x102104250, 
t=0x7fff5fbe8be0, tm=0x7fff5fbe8ba8) at time_rz.c:296
#4  0x00000001002ba1eb in emacs_localtime_rz (tz=0x102104250, 
t=0x7fff5fbe8be0, tm=0x7fff5fbe8ba8) at editfns.c:103
#5  0x00000001002c27e0 in Fdecode_time (specified_time=..., zone=...) at 
editfns.c:2163
#6  0x00000001002e66f4 in funcall_subr (subr=0x100921998 <Sdecode_time>, 
numargs=1, args=0x7fff5fbe9028) at eval.c:2824
#7  0x00000001002e5eaa in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0x7fff5fbe9020) at 
eval.c:2747
#8  0x0000000100369d53 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=..., vector=..., 
maxdepth=..., args_template=..., nargs=1, args=0x7fff5fbea288) at 
bytecode.c:629
#9  0x00000001002e73c6 in funcall_lambda (fun=..., nargs=1, 
arg_vector=0x7fff5fbea280) at eval.c:2948
#10 0x00000001002e5f1d in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0x7fff5fbea278) at 
eval.c:2749
#11 0x0000000100369d53 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=..., vector=..., 
maxdepth=..., args_template=..., nargs=3, args=0x7fff5fbeb510) at 
bytecode.c:629
#12 0x00000001002e73c6 in funcall_lambda (fun=..., nargs=3, 
arg_vector=0x7fff5fbeb4f8) at eval.c:2948
#13 0x00000001002e5f1d in Ffuncall (nargs=4, args=0x7fff5fbeb4f0) at 
eval.c:2749
#14 0x0000000100369d53 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=..., vector=..., 
maxdepth=..., args_template=..., nargs=0, args=0x0) at bytecode.c:629
#15 0x0000000100368538 in Fbyte_code (bytestr=..., vector=..., 
maxdepth=...) at bytecode.c:321
#16 0x00000001002e3359 in eval_sub (form=...) at eval.c:2229
#17 0x00000001002dc085 in Fdefconst (args=...) at eval.c:816
#18 0x00000001002e2c98 in eval_sub (form=...) at eval.c:2176
#19 0x000000010033cb46 in readevalloop (readcharfun=..., 
infile0=0x7fff5fbed6c8, sourcename=..., printflag=false, unibyte=..., 
readfun=..., start=..., end=...) at lread.c:2038
#20 0x0000000100339754 in Fload (file=..., noerror=..., nomessage=..., 
nosuffix=..., must_suffix=...) at lread.c:1425
#21 0x00000001002fcf8b in Frequire (feature=..., filename=..., 
noerror=...) at fns.c:2796

[...]

(gdb) select 5
#5  0x00000001002c27e0 in Fdecode_time (specified_time=..., zone=...) at 
editfns.c:2163
2163	  struct tm *tm = emacs_localtime_rz (tz, &time_spec, &local_tm);
(gdb) pp specified_time
(-1034058203136 0) [from GDB's I/O buffer]