Subject: bug#27735: Unbootable images with GuixSD on... "GuixSD"

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 20:12:50 +0200

On 17/07/17 19:17, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:> Hi T G-R,
> Yeah, that was me.  I don't understand how an actual operating system
> on a drive is an image.  Maybe I'm old-fashioned, dunno, but I think
> an image is something that is made up by light rays on a screen, not
> the real object.  In the case of computing an image is a backup file
> of a drive, not what is on the drive to begin with.
> 
> Also, even if it were an image, the image shouldn't say "<foo> image"
> in the image itself.  A mirror which doesn't add anything to your
> image when you look into it, either :)

I agree completely. I've become so used to dd'ing ISOs to USB drives
that I've come to think *only* in terms of fake discs, but you're right.
I chose ‘image’ reluctantly, because my first ideas (‘installer’, ‘vm’)
were even less relevant: this label's used for all disc images. Oh well.

We could choose the worst and ugliest label possible: that'd compel
someone to fix this!

(No. "GuixSD_image" it is.)

Thanks,

T G-R