Subject: Re: bug#27717: other-window when there is no other window

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 10:28:24 +0200

> C-x o runs the command other-window.
 >
 > Alas, if there is no other window, it does nothing.
 >
 > It doesn't even print a message "no other window". BUG!
 >
 > Better yet in this case would be just switch to an other buffer (the
 > same buffer that switch-to-buffer asks the user about, but without
 > asking the user.)
 >
 > And only if there is also no other buffer, then print the message.

The documentation of ‘other-window’ contains the sentence "COUNT zero
means do not skip any window, so select the selected window."  which
clearly indicates that "doing nothing" is a valid action in this case.
C-x 5 o behaves in a similar way.

Admittedly, saying that ‘other-window’ does "Select another window in
cyclic ordering of windows." is misleading.

martin