Subject: bug#27698: Guile takes over system +rant

From: Ster Chess <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 01:39:29 +0100

I'm sorry if this has already been suggested as a bug, but I couldn't find
it in the bug tracker.
If I create a simple recursive factorial function, and choose huge values
for it, Guile will happily do my bidding and take all the system resources
and my whole system becomes unusable. This should never happen. Python and
other scripting languages usually limit how much of the system's resources
they take up, and Python limit the depth of recursion (obviously not
appropriate for Scheme). I planned to use GNU Guile for a small project,
but I will most likely shift to another extension language because I cannot
deal with this issue.
Furthermore, can I make a polite recommendation that you shift over to a
GitLab repository (git.gnu.io, like GNU fm and GNU social?), or something
with a decent interface? The bug tracker is so old-fashioned, and
submitting issues by email?! This might sound rude but I'm honestly trying
to help.
Worse still, you advertise support for ECMAScript on your website, but as
far as I can tell, that's not really the case, since "The implementor was
completely irresponsible". Am I mistaken?
Finally, is Lua support under active implementation?
Sorry to rant at you, would appreciate a reply,
Some random guy off the internet.