Subject: Re: bug#27647: 26.0.50; Line numbers implemented natively disappear momentarily when frame out of focus

From: Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2017 13:25:17 +0000

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017, 5:39 AM martin rudalics <[email-masked]> wrote:

>  > To make line numbers disappear, some code has to trigger redisplay
>  > with display-line-numbers somehow reset to nil.
>
> Buffer-locally.  I suppose this will become clear as soon as the OP has
> tested your "What if you turn on display-line-numbers globally".
>

Hello all,

I have yet to try setting display-line-numbers globally.

The issue hasn't repeated in the past few days .. I'd hate if this has to
do with me restarting my machine. (As a side: My machine had an uptime of
about a year, and I restarting it fixed the problem that gdb wasn't able to
access ptrace. The whole reason I wanted that to work was to use gdb to
debug this problem when it occurred next.)

After the machine restart, the gdb issue resolved, and this line
disappearing issue also "seems" to have.. disappeared.

But I cannot say with confidence that this issue wouldn't repeat again, as
I haven't yet figured out what exactly caused that.

So if I now enable the line numbers globally, I won't be able to tell if
that prevented that issue from repeating, or my machine restart already
took care of that.

Let me see if this issue repeats in the next week with my current config.

> --

Kaushal Modi