Subject: bug#27647: 26.0.50; Line numbers implemented natively disappear momentarily when frame out of focus

From: Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 15:13:31 +0000

Hello,

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 10:44 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Not at a glance.  But the key to this mystery is most probably in your
> customizations.  Some code which probably runs off a timer or some X
> event does something that directly or indirectly resets the variable
> in that buffer.  Maybe you have some code which directly or indirectly
> calls kill-all-local-variables, for example.  Or something else to
> that effect.
>

I am still trying to find out what is doing that if something is doing
that. Unfortunately no message statement inserted anywhere in my native
linum enabling code is getting executed when this anomaly happens.

> You could add logging to your functions that turn off the line
> numbers, and see what's in the log when this happens.
>

None of those message statements gets triggered.

I have a feeling that this is happening due to some state change at
system/GTK2 level.. because no messages in elisp are catching the line
number toggling, and this happens when I move the focus out of the VNC
viewer window to Windows. When I return to the VNC viewer and click on the
window with the missing line numbers, they show up magically.

You would have a better idea if there are any hooks in display engine that
get affected by GTK..

-- 

Kaushal Modi