Subject: Re: [bug#27635] [PATCH] gnu: emacs: Build with imagemagick support.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 12:36:40 +0200

Hi Alex,

Alex Vong <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Currently, Emacs cannot resize image in image-mode because it lacks
> imagemagick support. This patch adds it:

That’s good news, I always wonder whether/how this could be fixed.  :-)

It noticeably increases the size of the Emacs closure though:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix size emacs |tail -1
total: 795.1 MiB
$ guix size emacs imagemagick |tail -1
total: 904.4 MiB
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

There a few big packages showing up in the profile; we should try to
make them smaller, perhaps by introducing separate outputs:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix size imagemagick 
store item                                                       total    self
/gnu/store/rcwblby3chpyhqxawxh3b8ykllsx9pik-imagemagick-6.9.8-10   394.1    19.6   5.0%
/gnu/store/szar30hn9qh7g6ib89rck1sswd44mm5x-graphviz-2.38.0        306.2    62.0  15.7%
/gnu/store/kqn8ib1hnlxhkb64bn1ggh1rp0xxidyv-pango-1.40.6           212.0     3.9   1.0%
/gnu/store/1x8x3bddq7pki89kyqlyx3g7dhkvviki-harfbuzz-1.4.6         181.9     2.4   0.6%
/gnu/store/4k53v34ja39r4rb08km0piak1c65nrkn-cairo-1.14.8           152.1     6.0   1.5%
/gnu/store/17d0ywzd9cp3qsbwc6j6h8cnwh4rplj5-ghostscript-9.14.0     140.2    19.1   4.9%
/gnu/store/rmb4nh95s22lnd42sarzj5bswakd3mxx-icu4c-58.2             134.0    34.9   8.9%
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.