Subject: bug#2760: CUA-like stuff spuriously enables transient-mark-mode.

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 21:38:29 -0400

>> Where do you see it hardcoded in the command loop?

> In Fcall_interactively, Lines 207 and 231, where it is interpreting the
> interactive string:

>       else if (*string == '^')
>         {
>           if (! NILP (Vshift_select_mode))
>              call1 (Qhandle_shift_selection, Qnil);    <================
>           /* Even if shift-select-mode is off, temporarily active
>              regions could be set using the mouse, and should be
>              deactivated.  */
>           else if (CONSP (Vtransient_mark_mode)
>                    && EQ (XCAR (Vtransient_mark_mode), Qonly))
>             call1 (Qhandle_shift_selection, Qt);       <================
>           string++;
>         }
> .

I see.  I guess we just disagree on what is meant by "hardcoded in the
command loop": this code is explicitly requested by the "^" code in the
`interactive' string of a command, so it seems (to me) pretty far from
"hardcoded in the command loop".

        Stefan