Subject: Re: bug#2760: CUA-like stuff spuriously enables transient-mark-mode.

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 20:46:22 -0400

> Start the CVS head "emacs -Q", and evaluate this:

>     (global-set-key [ &\C-\M-\S-m ] 'forward-char)
>     (transient-mark-mode -1)

> In some buffer, invoke 'forward-char by the above binding.  This enables
> transient-mark-mode as a side effect.  This shouldn't happen.

Can't reproduce it here (I tried the above, after replacing & with ?
and I don't see any indication that transient-mark-mode is being set).

> Why, why, why is this thing implemented by hard-coding in the command
> loop, where it interferes with users' ability to chose key bindings?

Where do you see it hardcoded in the command loop?

> It's practically 100% certain that somebody, somewhere, will want to use
> the hyper- or alt- keys instead of <shift> to get this visible region

We'll cross this bridge when we get there.

> It's near 100% certain that somebody, somewhere, perhaps with a name like
> Xah Lee, will want to use C-f as "find" (i.e. bind it to
> `isearch-forward') and use C-S-f for `forward-char'.

And that works just fine, AFAICT.

        Stefan