Subject: bug#27585: segfault when evaluating a file containing only backticks

From: Steve Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2017 15:33:42 +0000

> I presume that the above is due to some offense you
> took from what I wrote, which is why I thought it was important to
> explain what I think should be the way of handling bug reports -- any
> bug reports -- submitted against Emacs.

  I appreciate the time you took to do so, but no, no offense was
 taken.

  I only thought stopping was sensible because my experience is
 that fuzzing tends to discover are things that are malformed, broken,
 and almost never the kind of things that a user would intend to do.

  In short your initial response to this particular case seems
 like it would apply to any similar issue which  is liable to
 be discovered - they'd be genuine bugs, but they'd also be things
 that would never happen "in the wild", so while they wouldn't
 be ignored, it would be easy to push them to the back of the queue.

> In sum, I hope you will continue trying to break Emacs and will report
> any "successes", so we could improve Emacs in the future.

  THanks.  I'm sitting on a couple of hundred crashing cases, just
 trying to simplify them and see if they share the same cause (they
 probably do).

Steve
-- 
https://steve.fi/