Subject: Elogin doesn't start properly

From: William <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 00:39:05 +0100

On my GuixSD VM (Guix release 0.13) elogind doesn't start at startup,
despite (elogind-service) being used in config.scm. I am not using
Xorg or a desktop manager like Slim.

Elogind only starts when loginctl is executed as loginctl activates
elogind via DBus, meaning that it doesn't record any logins before
loginctl is run. I don't believe that this is intended; my Arch Linux
install doesn't miss any logins.

My config.scm:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(services (cons* ;; Networking
                   (service wpa-supplicant-service-type)
                   (service connman-service-type (connman-configuration))
                   (service tlp-service-type)
                   (service thermald-service-type)
                   (udisks-service)
                   (polkit-service)
                   (elogind-service)
                   (dbus-service)

                   %base-services))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Output (just started up vm):

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
gollum login: cavej
Password:
This is the GNU operating system, welcome!

gollum% loginctl
dbus[392]: [system] activating service name='org.freedesktop.login1'
(using servicehelper)
[/gnu/store/ninbsrgj12ik3zjwk0vbcbmhwfkfhj7h-logind.conf:5] Unknown
lvalue 'InhibitDelayMaxSecs' in section 'Login'
[/gnu/store/ninbsrgj12ik3zjwk0vbcbmhwfkfhj7h-logind.conf:15] Unknown
lvalue 'HolfoffTimeoutSecs' in section 'Login'
[/gnu/store/ninbsrgj12ik3zjwk0vbcbmhwfkfhj7h-logind.conf:17] Unknown
lvalue 'IdleActionSeconds' in section 'Login'
[/gnu/store/ninbsrgj12ik3zjwk0vbcbmhwfkfhj7h-logind.conf:19] Unknown
lvalue 'RemoveIpc' in section 'Login'
dbus[392]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.login1'
New seat seat0.
Watching system buttons on /dev/input/event0 (Power Button)
   SESSION      UID USER            SEAT

0 sessions listed.
gollum% exit
Respawning term-tty1
Service term-tty1 has been restarted.

This is the GNU system. Welcome.
gollum login: cavej
Password:
New session c1 of user cavej.
This is the GNU operating system, welcome!

gollum% loginctl
   SESSION       UID  USER                    SEAT
         c1    30011  cavej                   seat0

1 sessions listed.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---