Subject: bug#2755: describe-char says that DejaVu Sans Mono is being used to display a raw character

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:17:38 +0100

As a consequence of bug#2741, after vc-annotate I get a buffer that is
nominally utf-8-dos but contains raw bytes, for example:

ca005e53 test.txt (Juanma Barranquero 2008-01-29 08:56:38 +0000   32)
;;; Preparaci\363n

If I `describe-char' the \363 character, I get:

          character:   (4194291, #o17777763, #x3ffff3)
  preferred charset: eight-bit (Raw bytes 128-255)
         code point: 0xF3
             syntax: w 	which means: word
        buffer code: #xF3
          file code: not encodable by coding system utf-8-dos
            display: by this font (glyph code)
      uniscribe:-outline-DejaVu Sans
Mono-normal-normal-normal-mono-13-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1 (#x03)

  Character code properties: customize what to show

  There are text properties here:
    face                 vc-annotate-face-FF3F3F
    fontified            t

which seems wrong. In fact, I can only reproduce this at work; on my
laptop, with a very similar font setup (both have nearly identical
fonts, including the very same version of DejaVu Sans Mono)
`describe-char' says that it has no font available for that character.

The relevant part of the font log:

font for: (243 . iso-8859-1)
list: -outline-DejaVu Sans Mono-*-mono-*-iso8859-1
  -outline-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-italic-normal-mono-*-c-*-iso8859-1
  -outline-DejaVu Sans Mono-bold-italic-normal-mono-*-c-*-iso8859-1
  -outline-DejaVu Sans Mono-bold-normal-normal-mono-*-c-*-iso8859-1
  -outline-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-normal-normal-mono-*-c-*-iso8859-1
  -outline-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-italic-normal-mono-*-c-*-iso8859-1
  -outline-DejaVu Sans Mono-bold-italic-normal-mono-*-c-*-iso8859-1
  -outline-DejaVu Sans Mono-bold-normal-normal-mono-*-c-*-iso8859-1
  -outline-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-normal-normal-mono-*-c-*-iso8859-1
sort-by: -*-normal-normal-normal-*-13-*
  uniscribe:-outline-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-normal-normal-mono-*-c-*-iso8859-1

    Juanma