Subject: Re: bug#27511: 26.0.50; emacsclient requires file argument

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 08:32:48 -0400

tags 27511 notabug
close 27511
quit

James Nguyen <[email-masked]> writes:

> That snip you sent doesn’t work the way I want. It just opens the Gui
> Emacs up without opening a new scratch buffer.

Oh you want a *new* scratch buffer?  As in, you end up with multiple
scratch buffers if you run emacsclient several times?

> At this point, my takeaway is that we think this is 1. not a bug and
> 2. unlikely to have the default change (emacsclient behaving similarly
> in spirit to emacs)
>
> I will just have to write a bash function that wraps emacsclient and
> check for the file arg (or lackof) myself.

Yeah, changing the defaults is tricky because you have to get a lot of
people to agree on what the new default should be.  Although it seems to
me that the current default of just printing an error message is not
especially useful for anyone...