Subject: bug#27505: acknowledged by developer (Re: bug#27505: LC_CTYPE affects tutorial language)

From: Leonard Lausen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2017 20:22:11 +0900

On 08/05/2017 08:20 PM, Leonard Lausen wrote:
>>> So I agree with the previous comment that LANG should take precedence
>>> over LC_CTYPE with regards to the interface language. Not sure if the
>>> current emacs implementation allows that change without affecting the
>>> settings where LC_CTYPE does change precedence over LANG.
>>
>> LANG never takes precedence over other LC_* values, it only serves as
>> the default for them.  An interface that uses LC_CTYPE must ignore LANG
>> when LC_CTYPE is set.
> 
> I agree that LC_CTYPE always takes precedence for the things that
> LC_CTYPE defines according to the POSIX standard. However, as far as I
> understand the display language is not defined by LC_CTYPE. LC_CTYPE
> defines "Character classification and case conversion".
> 
> The closest would be LC_MESSAGES ("Formats of informative and diagnostic
> messages and interactive responses."). I just tried, and for example vim
> uses indeed LC_MESSAGES to decide on the interface language. So does
> Chromium and KDE applications such as okular..

So what I mean to say is that LANG should take precedence over LC_CTYPE
with respect to the interface language. At least as long as LC_MESSAGES
is not defined. Of course you can argue if the interface language is the
same as "Formats of informative and diagnostic messages and interactive
responses.". But if you disagree with that, then LANG should always take
precedence.