Subject: bug#27505: acknowledged by developer (Re: bug#27505: LC_CTYPE affects tutorial language)

From: Leonard Lausen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2017 14:59:39 +0900

> Does setting LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 and LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8 work?

Due to bug 27312 unfortunately I can't test if setting
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 and LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8 works (i.e. still allows
using the X input method). But I would expect it not to work, as LC_ALL
is supposed to overwrite  LC_CTYPE (see also below).

Arguably #10867 should be fixed directly and the X input method should
work independently of the setting of LC_CTYPE.

> Or should LANG should take precedence over LC_CTYPE perhaps?

Using LANG to decide the language of the tutorial should also work. But
would changing the precedence order to set current-language-environment
based on LANG not interfere with bug #10867? I.e. does emacs directly
check LC_CTYPE to decide if it supports using the X input method or does
it check current-language-environment (#10867).

In the latter case simply changing the precedence order wouldn't fix the
problem, as it would still require me to have
current-language-environment to be set to Chinese just to input Chinese
characters..