Subject: bug#27505: acknowledged by developer (Re: bug#27505: LC_CTYPE affects tutorial language)

From: Leonard Lausen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2017 10:54:37 +0900

Please reopen this bug. Unfortunately my previous reply was only sent to
Andreas, but not to the bug list. I am attaching it below. A short
summary is that emacs is assuming the language I occasionally need to
input is also the language I want to read by default, which is a wrong
assumption. Note that its not possible to input Chinese characters in
emacs without setting LC_CTYPE to zh_CN.

Thanks Andreas and Eli for the prompt reply.

In that case though I believe the intended emacs behavior does not make
sense. Given that I need to set LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8 just to make it
possible to use input system input methods for Chinese characters
doesn't mean I want to actually use a Chinese language interface.

Or concretely, I am learning Chinese and am comfortable typing it or
having daily conversations, however I don't feel comfortable reading the
emacs manual in Chinese. For my language learning I also tend to keep
some notes in Chinese which I would like to edit with emacs.

Shouldn't there be a way to allow people to input Chinese (or other
non-European languages) without affecting the language environment? The
current behavior seems to discriminate language learners

What do you think?

Thanks!

Best regards
Leonard