Subject: bug#27494: closed (Re: bug#27494: 24.5; doc of `add-to-history')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2017 08:37:01 +0000

Your bug report

#27494: 24.5; doc of `add-to-history'

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
27494: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=27494
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#27494: 24.5; doc of `add-to-history'
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2017 11:36:43 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 17:08:18 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> 
> Both doc string and Elisp manual:
> 
> The doc should say that when MAXELT is exceeded the oldest history
> element is discarded.  Yes, one might surmise that from the meaning of
> "history" ,and from assuming that the new element is always added,
> even if the history is full (up to MAXELT).  Still, it is better to be
> explicit.

The ELisp manual already said that the values of maximum length have
the same meaning as those of 'history-length', so I just added the
same reference to the doc string.

Thanks.

Subject: 24.5; doc of `add-to-history'
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 17:08:18 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Both doc string and Elisp manual:

The doc should say that when MAXELT is exceeded the oldest history
element is discarded.  Yes, one might surmise that from the meaning of
"history" ,and from assuming that the new element is always added,
even if the history is full (up to MAXELT).  Still, it is better to be
explicit.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2015-04-11 on LEG570
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/usr --host=i686-pc-mingw32'