Subject: Re: bug#27489: glibc fails to build on i686

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 01:00:30 -0400

Adonay Felipe Nogueira <[email-masked]> writes:

> NOTE: This message isn't meant to sound aggressive, it's just a question
> from a novice Guix user.
>
> Here is my situation:
>
> - I'm using Guix in a foreign distribution (Trisquel 7).
>
> - In 2017-06-12, I pulled and upgraded Guix and packages successfully as
>   root.
>
> - Last weekend I did (all as root): `guix gc` (successful), `guix pull`
>   (successful), `guix package -u guix` (not successful, because of this
>   bug).
>
> - Some time has passed, and the core-updates branch now seems to have a
>   fix for this bug.
>
> - Yesterday (or was it the day before it?), I did (all as root): `guix
>   gc` (successful), `guix pull` (not successfull, because of this bug),

It might be that you need to manually remove the ~/.config/guix/latest
symlink in root's home directory, and then run "guix pull" again.
Normally this is not needed, but in this case it might be needed to
recover from your current state.

As an aside: I'm not sure why you're running these commands as root.
Running "guix pull" as a user FOO effectively updates the package list
for user FOO, and not for any other user.  Running it as root is no
exception to this rule.  Each user, including root, has their own
private package list.

The main reason to run these commands as root is if you want to update
the packages in ~root/.guix-profile, or if you want to update a GuixSD
system.  Normally, each user runs these commands, including "guix pull"
under their own account.

>   `guix gc`, `guix pull
>   --url="https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/snapshot/guix-ed068b960eeedb92823238783779730319b8ba0e.tar.gz"`
>   (not successful, because of this bug). Notice that in the last pull I
>   used the snapshot corresponding to the merge in core-updates that has
>   the fix.

As Leo said, unless you want to help us debug problems on core-updates,
it's best stick with 'master' for now.  'master' is the only branch that
receives timely security updates.  'core-updates' is a work-in-progress,
and at present there are many broken packages there.

      Mark