Subject: bug#27476: guix pull fails on powerful server

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 23:04:31 +0200

Hi Ludo,

> The patch below seems to fix the problem: (guix monads) has shared state
> (hash tables) used both at expansion-time and run-time, and it wasn’t
> protected.
>
> My hypothesis is that this was causing random memory corruption.  The
> weird thing, though, is that the errors we were getting were not so
> random.  Also, the load phase of ‘guix pull’ is sequential.
>
> Could you test it and report back?

This doesn’t seem to be enough to fix the problem.  I patched ~/guix and
ran “guix pull --url=$PWD” from ~/guix:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
[rwurmus@murphy:~/guix] (335) $ time ./pre-inst-env guix pull --url=$PWD
guile: warning: failed to install locale
warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
Updating from Git repository at '/home/rwurmus/guix'...
Building from Git commit d24c69d86670bfad0c6bb147162c918e9fcdccc2...
substitute: guile: warning: failed to install locale
substitute: warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
guix pull: warning: failed to load '(bimsb packages bioinformatics-nonfree)':
ERROR: no code for module (gnu packages zip)
guix pull: warning: failed to load '(bimsb packages staging)':
ERROR: no code for module (gnu packages zip)
substitute: updating list of substitutes from 'https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%
The following derivation will be built:
   /gnu/store/y54b92jj44li36743fgxzy0iagi6gb9n-guix-latest.drv
copying and compiling to '/gnu/store/p5zlw7fas26bickkqz4d68g8bxnjr14z-guix-latest' with Guile 2.2.2...
loading...       25.8% of 640 filesrandom seed for tests: 1507927861
loading...       99.8% of 640 files
compiling...     18.6% of 640 filesIn thread:
ERROR: In procedure return: return used outside of 'with-monad'Error while printing exception.
compiling...     70.0% of 640 files
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

The higher the percentage of completion, the slower this all gets.  It
hasn’t actually finished yet, even though it has been running for over
13 minutes.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net