Subject: Re: [bug#27468] [PATCH] gnu: Add linkchecker.

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 02:02:46 +0200

Arun Isaac <[email-masked]> writes:

> * gnu/packages/web.scm (linkchecker): New variable.

[...]

> +       (modify-phases %standard-phases
> +         ;; Remove faulty python-requests version check. This has been fixed
> +         ;; upstream, and can be removed in version 9.4.
> +         (add-after 'unpack 'remove-python-requests-version
> +           (lambda _
> +             (substitute* "linkcheck/__init__.py"
> +               (("requests.__version__ <= '2.2.0'") "False")))))))

Please end this phase on a #t since (substitute* ...) has an unspecified
return value.

> +    (home-page "https://linkcheck.github.io/linkchecker/")
> +    (synopsis "Check websites for broken links")
> +    (description "LinkChecker is a website validator.  It checks for broken
> +links in websites.  It is recursive and multithreaded providing output in
> +colored or normal text, HTML, SQL, CSV, XML or as a sitemap graph.  It
> +supports checking HTTP/1.1, HTTPS, FTP, mailto, news, nntp, telnet and local
> +file links.")
> +    (license (list l:gpl2+
> +                   l:bsd-2 ; linkcheck/better_exchook2.py
> +                   l:bsd-3 ; linkcheck/colorama.py
> +                   l:psfl  ; linkcheck/gzip2.py
> +                   l:expat ; linkcheck/mem.py
> +                   l:isc   ; third_party/dnspython
> +                   l:asl2.0)))) ; third_party/miniboa

Is it possible to remove these third party libraries and use packaged
copies instead?  At least 'dnspython' is already in Guix.

Also, since GPL2+ is stricter than the other licenses, the program as a
whole is effectively GPL2+, so we don't really need to mention those
one-off source files in the license field (but comments are great).

Not sure about the 3rd party bundles though, since they probably don't
depend on anything from the GPL2+ distribution.  If they are installed,
I guess we should mention them with a FIXME.