Subject: bug#27467: closed (Re: bug#27467: Xfce broken, because it propagates two different versions of gtk+)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 14:13:01 +0000

Your bug report

#27467: Xfce broken, because it propagates two different versions of gtk+

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
27467: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=27467
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#27467: Xfce broken, because it propagates two different versions of gtk+
From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Cc: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 16:12:17 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> What do you think of the attached patches?  The first makes libxfce4ui
>> only propagate the latest gtk+, so I added gtk+-2 where needed.  The
>> second removes “exo” from the “xfce” meta-package, because it doesn’t
>> seem needed.  “exo” propagates “gtk+-2”, so it would be hard to prevent
>> the conflict otherwise.
>>
>> These patches are only a temporary fix until we can find a way to mark
>> certain conflicts as unproblematic.
>
> These patches seem reasonable to me.
>
> Another option (perhaps slightly less intrusive) would be to implement
> the ‘xfce’ meta-package using ‘union-build’ instead of
> ‘propagated-inputs’.

Yes, that’s better.  I pushed two commits:

  gnu: libxfce4ui: Do not propagate gtk+-2.
  (b8d3a000efca885180277358caa3c4fe604168a5)

  gnu: xfce: Build union instead of propagating inputs.
  (c860d6ef235b47ec8181fbf390e0b42fbc95dcfe)

With these two commits I can install xfce without problems.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net

Subject: Xfce broken, because it propagates two different versions of gtk+
From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 19:47:02 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I just tried to update my GuixSD system to commit
c57b56722f6c167c5a285f47802047de85a356ae on master.  "guix system build"
failed with the following error:

guix system: error: profile contains conflicting entries for gtk+:out
guix system: error:   first entry: [email-masked]:out /gnu/store/901ify6fr2zlr2y2acpvlqr8lygmwj98-gtk+-2.24.31
guix system: error:    ... propagated from [email-masked]
guix system: error:    ... propagated from [email-masked]
guix system: error:   second entry: [email-masked]:out /gnu/store/fhqaljm8cf78irhqjbrm8n0ri1k2cznm-gtk+-3.22.15
guix system: error:    ... propagated from [email-masked]
guix system: error:    ... propagated from [email-masked]
guix system: error:    ... propagated from [email-masked]

       Mark