Subject: bug#27450: closed (Re: bug#27450: guix pull failed updating guix)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 09:30:03 +0000

Your bug report

#27450: guix pull failed updating guix

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
27450: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=27450
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#27450: guix pull failed updating guix
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Jonathan Brielmaier <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 11:29:39 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Jonathan Brielmaier <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Am 22.06.2017 um 23:05 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
>> Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> skribis:
>> 
>>> On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 06:20:54PM +0200, Jonathan Brielmaier wrote:
>>>> copying and compiling to
>>>> '/gnu/store/ld6h1fc696q6iaxi9pax0khnm747hvgi-guix-latest' with Guile
>>>> 2.0.12...
>>>> loading...	 12.6% of 605 filesice-9/psyntax.scm:3084:32: In procedure
>>>> #<procedure 4f831a0 (k filename)>:
>>>> ice-9/psyntax.scm:3084:32: Syntax error:
>>>> bytestructures/guile/base.scm:8:19: include-from-path: file not found in
>>>> path in subform "bytestructures/r7/base.exports.sld" of
>>>> (include-from-path "bytestructures/r7/base.exports.sld")
>>>> builder for
>>>> `/gnu/store/lh7ja8hk54rlx7q3hrch6726cgrsqr8j-guix-latest.drv' failed
>>>> with exit code 1
>>>> guix pull: error: build failed: build of
>>>> `/gnu/store/lh7ja8hk54rlx7q3hrch6726cgrsqr8j-guix-latest.drv' failed
>>>> $ guix --version
>>>> guix (GNU Guix) 20170303.14
>>>>
>>>> guile-version: 2.0.12
>>>
>>> This Guix was a bit old (from March 2017) and was using Guile 2.0
>>> instead of Guile 2.2.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure, but I'd guess the issue is related to the recent addition
>>> of a dependency on guile-bytestructures [0].
>>>
>>> [0]
>>> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=19c90e5f697bbf1be5ea3a7b4f5fe712d77070a1
>> 
>> The problem is that there was a time window in March where
>> ‘guile-bytestructures’ was broken as can be seen above.  This prevents
>> upgrade here.  :-/
>> 
>> The workaround would be to first upgrade to the commit before the one
>> you gave:
>> 
>>   guix pull \
>>     --url=https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/snapshot/6fe5c49ab487154074eaab2ef80e9a2f8163320c.tar.gz
>> 
>> and then upgrade again:
>> 
>>   guix pull
>> 
>> Jonathan, are you able to confirm that this works or did you work around
>> it differently already?
> Sadly I can't confirm if this work around works because I reinstalled
> guix (I removed the broken one and did a clean new 0.13 installation).
>
> Next time I'll wait until the mailing list gives me the right commit :)

No problem.  I’m closing the bug, with the understanding though that it
illustrates a “well-known” defect in ‘guix pull’.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

Subject: guix pull failed updating guix
From: Jonathan Brielmaier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 18:20:54 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I tried to update my guix installation with `guix pull` but it failed.
As shell I use fish, System is Linux Mint 17.3.

$ guix pull
[...]
The following derivations will be built:
   /gnu/store/lh7ja8hk54rlx7q3hrch6726cgrsqr8j-guix-latest.drv
   /gnu/store/d1bqy3zmi3xrmjr40lhdhmngcs8m7827-libgit2-0.25.1.drv
   /gnu/store/a2j5g8szv0wwy1vqsq959jva0jkc9jxy-module-import.drv
   /gnu/store/mqjybj2x91zkmyldqrj0bzjz39qlikj8-module-import-compiled.drv
   /gnu/store/r93v5wsy5vgba23q2bzff2an43rqz4l1-guile-git-0.0-0.969514a.drv
building path(s) `/gnu/store/r4wdd8dw3l11n0qkangqaznv5y0miwd1-module-import'
building path(s)
`/gnu/store/6kzngkxcxja7092j15gyfbiqn4dib414-libgit2-0.25.1'
grafting '/gnu/store/sp9dpc0rmwy3jsc8wh6ghkbc60i01428-libgit2-0.25.1' ->
'/gnu/store/6kzngkxcxja7092j15gyfbiqn4dib414-libgit2-0.25.1'...
building path(s)
`/gnu/store/bi0chwm3w2nfk3hdnshrd4rwcc5znd8c-module-import-compiled'
building path(s)
`/gnu/store/p7sx29xmgfdr7dnvwm90x5scymd5r34w-guile-git-0.0-0.969514a'
grafting
'/gnu/store/079i0qp6rdcwp5rkirwsi9y8g87id3c0-guile-git-0.0-0.969514a' ->
'/gnu/store/p7sx29xmgfdr7dnvwm90x5scymd5r34w-guile-git-0.0-0.969514a'...
warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
building path(s) `/gnu/store/ld6h1fc696q6iaxi9pax0khnm747hvgi-guix-latest'
copying and compiling to
'/gnu/store/ld6h1fc696q6iaxi9pax0khnm747hvgi-guix-latest' with Guile
2.0.12...
loading...	 12.6% of 605 filesice-9/psyntax.scm:3084:32: In procedure
#<procedure 4f831a0 (k filename)>:
ice-9/psyntax.scm:3084:32: Syntax error:
bytestructures/guile/base.scm:8:19: include-from-path: file not found in
path in subform "bytestructures/r7/base.exports.sld" of
(include-from-path "bytestructures/r7/base.exports.sld")
builder for
`/gnu/store/lh7ja8hk54rlx7q3hrch6726cgrsqr8j-guix-latest.drv' failed
with exit code 1
guix pull: error: build failed: build of
`/gnu/store/lh7ja8hk54rlx7q3hrch6726cgrsqr8j-guix-latest.drv' failed
$ guix --version
guix (GNU Guix) 20170303.14

guile-version: 2.0.12

If you need more information just ask, but probably I don't have any
further information because I reinstalled guix...

Jonathan