Subject: Re: bug#27450: guix pull failed updating guix

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 23:05:25 +0200

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 06:20:54PM +0200, Jonathan Brielmaier wrote:
>> copying and compiling to
>> '/gnu/store/ld6h1fc696q6iaxi9pax0khnm747hvgi-guix-latest' with Guile
>> 2.0.12...
>> loading...	 12.6% of 605 filesice-9/psyntax.scm:3084:32: In procedure
>> #<procedure 4f831a0 (k filename)>:
>> ice-9/psyntax.scm:3084:32: Syntax error:
>> bytestructures/guile/base.scm:8:19: include-from-path: file not found in
>> path in subform "bytestructures/r7/base.exports.sld" of
>> (include-from-path "bytestructures/r7/base.exports.sld")
>> builder for
>> `/gnu/store/lh7ja8hk54rlx7q3hrch6726cgrsqr8j-guix-latest.drv' failed
>> with exit code 1
>> guix pull: error: build failed: build of
>> `/gnu/store/lh7ja8hk54rlx7q3hrch6726cgrsqr8j-guix-latest.drv' failed
>> $ guix --version
>> guix (GNU Guix) 20170303.14
>> 
>> guile-version: 2.0.12
>
> This Guix was a bit old (from March 2017) and was using Guile 2.0
> instead of Guile 2.2.
>
> I'm not sure, but I'd guess the issue is related to the recent addition
> of a dependency on guile-bytestructures [0].
>
> [0]
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=19c90e5f697bbf1be5ea3a7b4f5fe712d77070a1

The problem is that there was a time window in March where
‘guile-bytestructures’ was broken as can be seen above.  This prevents
upgrade here.  :-/

The workaround would be to first upgrade to the commit before the one
you gave:

  guix pull \
    --url=https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/snapshot/6fe5c49ab487154074eaab2ef80e9a2f8163320c.tar.gz

and then upgrade again:

  guix pull

Jonathan, are you able to confirm that this works or did you work around
it differently already?

Thanks,
Ludo’.