Subject: bug#27445: 26.0.50; Insufficient documentation for pinentry.el

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 06:29:17 +0200

Hallo,

I followed the instructions in pinentry.el, but failed.  There is no
more documentation available.  I'm running a very normal Debian.

Since entering passwords is a quite common thing, and this is about the
user's security, shouldn't this deserve some more extensive information
or be described in the manual?

FWIW, after searching the Internet, I found several pieces of
information that seem to be missing in the documentation in the file
header of pinentry.el: I seemingly have to build pinentry-emacs if it's
not available, for example.

After having tried over an hour, I finally was in a state where I got no
more password prompts at all.

I'm thankful that I had the luck to be able to restore the previous
state so that I got my Email working again and could open this report.
This should not happen to others.

Thanks in advance,

Michael.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11)
 of 2017-06-19 built on drachen
Repository revision: 1b75af59b305867c89271905be72a05d06a4eff4
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11903000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 9.0 (stretch)